Saturday, January 23, 2010

Be Still, My Soul

Hymn lyrics by Katharina A. von Schlegel,
Translated from German by Jane L. Borthwick;
Music by Jean Sibelius
Verse 1
  • Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
  • Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
  • Leave to thy God to order and provide;
  • In ev’ry change, He faithful will remain.
  • Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
  • Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Verse 2
  • Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
  • To guide the future, as He has the past.
  • Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
  • All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
  • Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
  • His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.
Verse 3
  • Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
  • And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
  • Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
  • Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
  • Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
  • From His own fullness all He takes away.
Verse 4
  • Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
  • When we shall be forever with the Lord.
  • When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
  • Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
  • Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
  • All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Verse 5
  • Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
  • On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
  • Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
  • So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
  • Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
  • Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

No comments: