Monday, October 25, 2004

Beneath the Cross of Jesus

Hymn lyrics by Elizabeth C. Clephane,
Music by Frederick C. Maker

Verse 1

Beneath the cross of Jesus I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty rock within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness, a rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat, and the burden of the day.

Verse 2

O safe and happy shelter, O refuge tried and sweet,
O trysting place where Heaven’s love and Heaven’s justice meet!
As to the holy patriarch that wondrous dream was giv’n,
So seems my Savior’s cross to me, a ladder up to Heav’n.

Verse 3

There lies beneath its shadow but on the further side,
The darkness of an awful grave that gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross, two arms outstretched to save,
A watchman set to guard the way from that eternal grave.

Verse 4

Upon that cross of Jesus mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One Who suffered there for me;
And from my stricken heart with tears two wonders I confess:
The wonders of redeeming love and my unworthiness.

Verse 5

I take, O cross, thy shadow for my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by, to know no gain or loss;
My sinful self, my only shame; my glory all, the cross.

No comments: