Saturday, November 27, 2004

On a Rugged Hill

Hymn lyrics and Music by J. Keith Whitford,
© 1946 J. Keith Whitford.
Used by permission of Ken Whitford of Merismos Records
(Pending permission of Zondervan Publishing).

Verse 1

On a rugged hill
Stood a rugged cross,
And upon that cross there hung in shame
God’s beloved Son,
Christ the Lovely One,
Who from Heaven to the sinner came.

Chorus

Calv’ry, rugged hill of sorrow,
Where the Prince of Glory died for me;
Wounded, crushed and broken-hearted,
Lone He suffered untold agony.
Sinless, there He bore my burdens,
That from sinful shame I might be free.
Glorious day—He took my sins away,
On the cross of Calvary.

Verse 2

On a rugged hill
Stood a mocking throng,
Scorning Him who came to save the lost.
It was not in vain
That the Savior came
To redeem the world at priceless cost.

Chorus

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I once heard a tenor sing "On a rugged hill" I believe the soloist was Gilbert Beebe(or Beene) This was on a worship tape from Bellview Baptist church in Memphis many years ago. Does anyone know this tenor. I thought it was the most beautiful voice and song I had ever heard. Doe anyone know if he has any CDs?
Thank You Wayne
waynesbassfarm@yahoo.com

Brian said...

Wayne, I have no clue. Have you tried Googling (or Binging) his name?

Unknown said...

I like this song its really touch my soul Jesus zealed me by His blood

Luchik63 said...

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful song of praise to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Please allow me to offer two edits:

1) SB - "Who from heaven to earth for sinners came" which fits the melody properly.

2) Also, it would be more reflective of the "only begotten Son" (John 3:16) if the lyrics said, "God's beloved Son, Christ, the only One".

Both of these changes are from my memory of singing the song 50 years ago :-)